We’re taking a look at the state of blogging as we head into 2022. Mickey Mellen has been blogging every day for more than a year.
He’s following Seth Godin’s advice that everyone should blog, every day. It seems crazy, but it’s largely not for the reasons you think. Here’s why to blog daily:
- Writing daily helps you grow yourself and your thoughts.
- There are some SEO benefits, but that’s secondary.
- Really, it helps open your eyes to the world, and then really unpack what you see.
So businesses should blog daily too?
- Almost certainly not, as there are different goals.
- For most of our clients, SEO is a big part of this, which is a different kind of post.
- Research keywords and write more robust (yet focused) content.
About how long should posts be? There’s no hard and fast rules but here are some thoughts:
- As long as they need to be, but that’s not very specific.
- Personally, Mickey just writes what’s needed.
- For business, we generally recommend a bit longer, perhaps 500-1000 words.
- Longer form content gives more detail and content for Google to consume.
What are other advantages to blogging for your business in general?
- It’s good fodder for your social media and email marketing. Much of what we produce in those channels links to our blog posts.
- It can be good for clients. We frequently send links to clients and leads with blog posts that help them understand a particular problem.
What should people do if they’re interested in learning how to blog daily? Just do it. Start a WordPress or Medium blog and just start writing. Learn by doing.