Website accessibility is an often overlooked, but vitally important part of effective website development.
Accessibility is essentially making sure that ALL users can consume the content on your website, even if they have disabilities (such as vision impairment) that could make it difficult.
There are more people who
There are at least three reasons why you should address accessibility on your website.
- Naturally improve your SEO
- Avoid unnecessary Lawsuits
- It’s the right thing to do.
What are some practical ways to improve your website’s accessibility?
- Don’t use an accessibility overlay: shouldiuseanaccessibilityoverlay.com
- WordPress Themes
- Include alt text: Also, pictures of pictures and text of text
- Don’t open links in new tabs
- Website Form fields
- Add an accessibility statement
- Use #CamelCaseHashtags
Those might seem daunting so here is one small step to get started. Use the WAVE tool at wave.webaim.org to do an accessibility check of your website.